Week 5 Discussion
Initial post: Thursday, midnight
Response: Sunday, midnight
Maximum points: 100
Social media sites are censoring us. Killing net neutrality will make it worse.
"Free speech on the Internet is at risk. Social media platforms have been participating in various forms of censorship like the demonetization of youtube videos, shadow banning of twitter users, the manipulation of trending news sections, and outright deletion of content.
- Youtube creators like ,, andhave suffered demonetization, as well as comedy channels like, and firearms related channels likeand. Thousands and thousands of channels have been caught in YouTube’s demonetization scheme from all across the political spectrum.
- Facebook workers routinely suppressed conservative stories from appearing in the trending news sections
- Facebook was caught censoring live feeds of the Standing Rock pipeline protests
- Twitter has been accused of banning and suspending outspoken users on both the left and the right.
- Facebook, Google, and Twitter have all announced plans to stifle or stop ads related to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Their stated excuse is to curb the effects of scam ICOs, but we shouldn't forget that emerging micropayments platforms like Basic Attention Token are a direct threat to their revenue model.
Do you agree with this opinion? Explain your point based on the ethical principles you learned.
Discussion Participation Instructions
- When you are the first to contribute to the discussion, you will see only the + Respond link
- If others have posted, you will see their comments, along with the + Respond link
- If there is more than one topic for discussion, the first topic is displayed.
- To select a different topic, click on the corresponding link in the Topics list.
- The + Respond link - as well as any responses - will be displayed at the bottom of the page
- If you do not see the + Respond link, or any responses, you may need to scroll down the page