Week 8 Discussion
Initial post: Thursday, midnight
Response: Sunday, midnight
Maximum points: 100
Discuss the following responses to the revelation that
telecommunications companies provided domestic phone call records to the
National Security Agency.
President George Bush: “Al-Qaeda is our enemy, and we want to know their plans.”
Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont: “Are you telling me tens of millions of Americans are involved with al-Qaeda?”
Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona: “We are in a war, and we have got to collect intelligence on the enemy.”
Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa: “Why are the telephone companies not protecting their customers? They have a social responsibility to people who do business with them to protect our privacy as long as there isn’t some suspicion that we’re a terrorist or a criminal or something.”
Discussion Participation Instructions
- When you are the first to contribute to the discussion, you will see only the + Respond link
- If others have posted, you will see their comments, along with the + Respond link
- If there is more than one topic for discussion, the first topic is displayed.
- To select a different topic, click on the corresponding link in the Topics list.
- The + Respond link - as well as any responses - will be displayed at the bottom of the page
- If you do not see the + Respond link, or any responses, you may need to scroll down the page